THE FAMOUS GROUSE RELEASE LIMITED EDITION COMMONWEALTH GAMES WHISKY FOR GLASGOW 2014 – Scotch Whisky News
THE FAMOUS GROUSE RELEASE LIMITED EDITION
COMMONWEALTH GAMES WHISKY FOR GLASGOW 2014
As the official whisky provider to the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games, The Famous Grouse, distributed by Maxxium UK, has released a limited edition single malt to mark their sponsorship of this momentous sporting event.
The whisky brand, which is the number one selling whisky in Scotland and the UK, has announced it will release a special Commonwealth Games bottling of Glenturret 1986 Cask Strength single malt. This limited edition run will see only 1,800 bottles available for purchase making it a true collector’s edition among whisky enthusiasts and sporting fans alike.
Glenturret single malt is one of the core ingredients of The Famous Grouse blend and Master Blender Gordon Motion has handpicked this deluxe whisky – which was laid down to age in oak casks in 1986, the year that Scotland last hosted the Commonwealth Games – in celebration of this landmark year for Scotland.
Commenting on why he handpicked this particular single malt whisky Gordon Motion said:
“We are extremely proud to be the Official Whisky of Glasgow 2014 and wanted to mark this momentous occasion with what we do best – whisky.
“When deliberating what to release it became apparent that Glenturret 1986 was the ideal choice and very timely. Glenturret is not only integral to The Famous Grouse blend but this batch was laid down to age in oak casks 28 years ago, the very year the Commonwealth Games last visited the home of Scotch whisky.
“This exceptional whisky gives off notes of fresh mango and passion fruit to nose with sweet honeycomb and melon to taste.
“So why not, pour a dram, raise a toast to Glasgow 2014 and be part of something famous.”
The Famous Grouse will have a strong presence in Glasgow’s on and off-trade in the run up to and during the Games with over 200 of the city’s bars signed up to receive on-trade kits. Point of sale will also go into retail outlets driving visibility of the Commonwealth Games sponsorship.
Peter Sandstrom, Marketing Director Maxxium UK, added:
“As the Official Whisky of Glasgow 2014 we are looking forward to what will be an awe-inspiring Commonwealth Games. The Famous Grouse believes there’s a joy to participating in something bigger than ourselves – of being part of something famous – and that the same spirit is present at the very core of the ‘friendly games’.”
Personalisation also continues to be a key focus for the band with live labelling available in selected stores during the Games. The leading whisky brand launched a new personalisation mechanic earlier this year which enables consumers to add a personal photograph to their bottle, free of charge by visiting www.makesomeonefamous.com.
The whisky brand’s sponsorship of the Commonwealth Games builds on their already strong sporting links, working with the Scottish Rugby Union (SRU) as their Official Whisky partner for over 24 years. More recently it announced sister brand, Ginger Grouse, as the Official Pint Partner of endurance race, Tough Mudder.
The Famous Grouse (www.thefamousgrouse.com)
- The Famous Grouse is the no. 1 whisky in Scotland and no. 4 standard blended whisky worldwide (IWSR data 2012).
- The Famous Grouse has been the best selling whisky in Scotland since 1980.
- The Famous Grouse is exported to over 100 countries.
- Created in 1896 by founder Matthew Gloag, it was originally called The Grouse Brand.
- The brand became so popular that on August 12th 1905 it was renamed The Famous Grouse.
- The Famous Grouse Experience is located at Scotland’s oldest working distillery – Glenturret. Originally established as a single malt distillery in 1775, today The Famous Grouse Experience is the most visited distillery in Scotland.(www.thefamousgrouse.com/experience)
The Commonwealth Games
- The Commonwealth Games is an international, multi-sport event involving 71 teams of athletes from the Commonwealth of Nations. The event was first held in 1930 and takes place every four years. Glasgow 2014 will be the 20th Commonwealth Games and will be held from 23 July to 3 August. It will feature 17 sports in 11 days of competition with 261 medal events on show. The Games will play host to 4500 athletes and sell 1,000,000 tickets with the event aided by an army of up to 15,000 volunteers. Glasgow 2014 Ltd is the official name for the Organising Committee tasked with delivering the Games in partnership with the Scottish Government, Glasgow City Council and Commonwealth Games Scotland. Glasgow 2014’s other official partner level sponsors are Longines, SSE, Virgin Media and BP. For more information on Glasgow 2014’s full sponsor family, please visit http://www.glasgow2014.com/games/our-sponsors
- For further information please contact Glasgow 2014 Senior Press Officer Stephanie Todd on 030 2014 0166 email@example.com
About Maxxium UK
- Maxxium UK Ltd is part of the global sales and distribution alliance between Beam Inc and Edrington
- Its UK portfolio of premium brands includes: blended Scotch (The Famous Grouse, Teacher’s and Cutty Sark), malt whisky (Highland Park, Laphroaig, The Macallan, The Glenrothes and Ardmore), imported whiskey (Jim Beam, Maker’s Mark, Knob Creek, Canadian Club, Red Stag), cognac and brandy (Courvoisier and Fundador), sherry (Harveys), vodka (Stolichnaya), tequila (Sauza), rum (Brugal and Cruzan), liqueurs and specialities (Sourz, Bols liqueurs, Galliano, Vaccari, After Shock)