Mike and Barry chat about Johnny Walker’s Master Blender. Humorous insights on Malt and Blended Scotch Whisky from the distillers perspective.
Archive for June, 2013
Mike and Barry chat about warehouse conditions and flavour variation.”One in a collection of short quirky videos on Scotch Whisky with Master Distiller Mike Nicolson and Whisky enthusiast Barry Dunner.
Mike and Barry discuss the wisdom of ” Double” Maturation.
Mike and Barry talk about ” Finishing” and maturation innovations. Humorous insights on Malt and Blended Scotch Whisky from the distillers perspective.
Mike and Barry Back to Back “Chill Filtering – Good or Bad? And What about Caramel?” – Scotch Whisky News
Chill Filtering – Good or Bad ? And What about Caramel?
“One in a collection of short quirky videos on Scotch Whisky with Master Distiller Mike Nicolson and Whisky enthusiast Barry Dunner. Humorous insights on Malt and Blended Scotch Whisky from the distillers perspective.”
From a roaring campfire, through to a serene lighthouse scene to joking with friends – acclaimed international illustrator Peter Arkle chose his 10 most inspiring images from the scores which were entered.
These 10 images have now been illustrated by Peter and will be transferred onto truly personalised bottle labels and tubes for the winners.
Zachary Briggs’ entry of a picture he summed up as “warm summers; maritime winters; sea spray, granite shores and lobster sheds” was chosen as the overall winner. Zachary, of Halifax, Canada, has won a four-day trip for two to New York to collect his personalised bottle from Peter.
A note from Andrew Ferguson at Kensington Wine Mart
Last week was a tough one for many in Calgary and Southern Alberta. The floods wreaked havoc on people’s homes and businesses. Lives have been turned upside down. The negative impact on our infrastructure and our economy will be huge. First estimates have come in north of $5,000,000,000. I had countless messages by phone, email, Facebook and Twitter, inquiring about the store and our staff. Even an offer to help clean up my basement which was flooded by a pipe failure unrelated to the floods. Thank you for your concern and thoughts. We were very lucky. KWM was spared, other than a four day power outage, however so many of our friends, family and other businesses were not.
As the saying goes: the show must go on! In the true spirit of the West, we are throwing a side walk sale this weekend, Saturday June 29th and Sunday June 30th. We will be donating $0.50 from every bottle of wine and spirits sold to the Red Cross for Flood Relief. All of our in-stock wine will be 15% off, in-stock whiskies 10% off and in-stock beer 5% off. We will also have even bigger discounts on selected wines and whiskies. For the list of whiskies discounted 15-25%, please refer to my list below!
Finally, we have also opened up our “Scotch Malt Whisky Society Canada July Outturn” tasting to the general public. We have two sessions, one at 6PM the other at 8PM next Friday July 5th. These identical standup tastings each have room for 30 participants. The 8PM tasting is nearly sold out, but there are still about 20 spots available at 6PM. We are charging $40 for members and $50 for guests with a $10 donation to be made, for every participant, to the Red Cross. The events will feature the Society’s latest releases. You can register by phone (403)-283-8000 or through the website. For more information on the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, the world’s largest whisky club, visit www.smws.ca.
I hope you and yours have a safe and happy long weekend, and I wish you all the best in the weeks ahead.
Kensington Wine Market
- Sale will be in store and online only, Saturday June 29th and Sunday June 30th.
- No phone orders, please order over the web, by email or in store.
- All in stock single malts, Scotch, Bourbon, Rye (Canadian) and other whiskies are 10% off save for Scotch Malt Whisky Society bottlings and a few other selected new items.
- Some whiskies are discounted between 15-25%, please refer to the list below.
- We will honour the pricing on exclusive whiskies we sell out of in store.
- Payment must be provided at the time of purchase.
- In the event of a discrepancy in price between this email and our Point of Sale, the latter will be taken as correct.
SAVE 15% on the Following Whiskies
- Abhainn Dearg First Edition – Regular Price $188.99
- BBR Glen Keith KWM Cask – Regular Price $105.49
- BenRiach 17 Year Septendicem – Regular Price $93.99
- BenRiach 1976 Cask 5317 – Regular Price $416.49 *ONLY 1 LEFT!
- BenRiach 1977 Cask 2588 – Regular Price $318.99
- BenRiach 1977 Cask 2593 – Regular Price $318.99 *ONLY 1 LEFT!
- BenRiach 1983 Cask 291 – Regular Price $209.99 *ONLY 1 LEFT!
- BenRiach 25 Year Authenticus – Regular Price $224.99
- Berry’s Blue Hanger 6th Edition – Regular Price $124.99
- Celebration of the Cask Bladnoch 1990 – Regular Price $212.99
- Celebration of the Cask Girvan 1989 – Regular Price $203.99
- Chichibu Mizunara Wood Reserve – Regular Price $190.99
- Chichibu The First Ichiro’s Malt – Regular Price $159.99
- Chichibu The Floor Malted – Regular Price $190.99
- Compass Box Hedonism – Regular Price $
- Cutty Sark Tam O’Shanter – Regular Price $
- Duthies Aberfeldy 14 Year – Regular Price $82.99
- Duthies Bruichladdich 20 Year – Regular Price $110.49
- Duthies Glen Ord 16 Year – Regular Price $87.99
- Duthies Glen Scotia 12 Year – Regular Price $76.99
- Duthies Royal Lochnagar 10 Year – Regular Price $77.99
- Duthies Springbank 11 Year – Regular Price $77.99
- Fettercairn 24 Year – Regular Price $315.99 *ONLY 1 LEFT!
- Fettercairn 30 Year – Regular Price $409.99
- G&M Rare Vintage Dallas Dhu 1979 – Regular Price $248.99
- G&M Rare Vintage Glen Albyn 1976 – Regular Price $321.99
- Glen Garioch 1997 MS Society Cask – Regular Price $89.99
- Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength 20 Year – Regular Price $314.99
- Glenmorangie 10 Year Original – Regular Price $61.59
- Glenmornagie Nectar D’Or – Regular Price $78.49
- Hammer Head 1989 Czech Whisky – Regular Price $89.99
- Jura Boutique Barrels 1995 Bourbon Jo – Regular Price $114.99
- Jura Paps Collection – Regular Price $491.99 *ONLY 1 LEFT!
- Kavalan Concertmaster Port Finish – Regular Price $94.99
- Kavalan No. 1 – Regular Price $114.99
- Kavalan Podium – Regular Price $149.99
- Kavalan Solist Ex-Bourbon – Regular Price $179.99
- Kavalan Solist Vinho – Regular Price $189.99
- Kavalan Solist Fino – Regular Price $324.99
- Nikka Miyagikyo 15 Year – Regular Price $154.59
- Nikka Tsuru 17 Year Ceramic – Regular Price $191.99
- Nikka Yoichi 15 Year – Regular Price $143.99
- Nikka Yoichi 20 Year – Regular Price $329.99
- Signatory Ben Nevis 1990 – Regular Price $152.99
- Signatory Glen Scotia 1991 – Regular Price $128.49
- Signatory Inchmurin 1993 – Regular Price $137.99
- Signatory Linlithgow 1982 – Regular Price $270.99
SAVE 20% on the Following Whiskies
- Arran Robbie Burns – Regular Price $
- BenRiach 1983 KWM Cask 298 – Regular Price $205.99
- Caol Ila Unpeated 14 Year – Regular Price $133.99
- Gibson’s 18 Year – Regular Price $
- Stronachie 18 Year – Regular Price $79.99
- Te Bheag – Regular Price $
- Tomintoul 1976 – Regular Price $321.99
- Tomintoul 33 Year – Regular Price $279.99
SAVE 25% on the Following Whiskies
- Auchroisk 20 Year – Regular Price $245.99
- Benrinnes 23 Year – Regular Price $314.99
- Coyote Ugly Canadian Whisky – Regular Price $
- English Whisky Co. Royal Wedding Decanter – Regular Price $
- G&M Glen Grant 60 Year Diamond Jubilee – Regular Price $13,999.99
- G&M Private Collection Glenlivet 1954 – Regular Price $2,193.99
- G&M Private Collection Glenlivet 1963 – Regular Price $1,325.99
- Glen Spey 21 Year – Regular Price $374.99
- Glenglassaugh 1972 KWM Sherry Cask – Regular Price $699.99
- Glenmorangie Discovery Pack – Regular Price $83.49
- Port Ellen 12th Release – Regular Price $1,424.99
- Wilson & Morgan Glenrothes 1990
If you have any whisky questions or comments concerning The Malt Messenger please contact me by e-mail, phone, or drop by the store. Feel free to forward me any whisky news you feel should be included in a future issue of The Malt Messenger; it might just get included.
All of the products mentioned in THE MALT MESSENGER can be purchased in store, over the phone or from our website at www.kensingtonwinemarket.com. All prices quoted in the Malt Messenger are subject to change, don’t include GST. In the case of discrepancies in pricing, the price in our in store point of sale will be taken as correct.
Thanks for reading the Malt Messenger.
Manager & Scotchguy
Kensington Wine Market
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Owner & Opperator
Ferguson’s Whisky Tours
July Previews: A Tropical Market
Browse the stalls: see the fish gleaming, smell the fragrant spices, squeeze the ripe fruit. With 4 preview releases and 1 much loved grain cask newly available by the bottle, there’s something for everyone here…
7.87 A tropical Market
27yo Refill ex-bourbon hogshead High Panel Score!
Speyside Lossie, £88.30
Pulpy, over-ripe fruits (Ogen melon, pears, peaches); toffee apples (and their sticks); custard creams, carrot cake, caramel biscuits, baklava, then spice drawer with powdered ginger. A creamy texture; a sweet start and a tart finish… Buy
35.93 Wimbledon final dram
17yo First fill ex-bourbon barrel Low Outturn!
Speyside Lossie, £62.50
The fascinating nose offered toffee, soft caramel, marshmallows and Turkish delight, then sherbet lemons, resinous wood, oranges and oil-painted canvases; beautiful spices wafted throughout (paprika, chilli, clove, aniseed, Liquorice Allsorts). The intensely toothsome palate had a Wimbledon final volley going on… Buy
3.204 A 1950s seaside scene
24yo Refill ex-bourbon hogshead
The nose evoked a 1950’s seaside scene – American Cream Soda, ice-cream with monkey’s blood, cigarette packets, stretchy bandages, lobster shells, charcoal smoke and sea air. The palate’s perfume (lavender, parma violets, pot-pourri, lemon) counterpointed burnt heather, liquorice allsorts, aniseed balls… Buy
127.32 A manly dram
10yo Refill ex-bourbon barrel
We enjoyed unravelling this nose – medicinal, tarry, kippers, big smoke, creosote, pine cones, harbours, caramelised parsnips, soor plooms, burnt toast, seared scallops, smoked vanilla, etc. The palate was a whopping, stomach-coating assault of tiger balm, tar, smoke, ash, embers… Buy
Now available online by the bottle!
G7.5 Smoky Werthers Original
28yo Refill ex-bourbon barrel
Single Cask Grain Whisky, £75.20
The Panel found themselves transported into a very old and dusty Antiques shop with old wooden floors and big wooden furniture, with lots of brassy and leathery aromas as well as the sweet coal smoke of a distant fire in the air. Fruity and sweet notes slowly appearing, Newberry fruit jellies, Eccles cake… Buy
JUNE OFFERS: Last chance to snap them up
*3.207 is exclusive to our June offers
The Scotch Malt Whisky Society, The Vaults, 87 Giles Street, Leith EH6 6BZ Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0131 555 2929 (Mon-Fri 9am-4.45pm). Visit the Society at http://www.smws.co.uk/memberships for your chance to join and to take advantage of their great offers.
NEW ARRIVALS & BACK IN STOCK
Scotland – Single Malt Scotch
- 1998 Glenrothes Distillery Bottle Single Malt Whisky 750ml – 4 available ($49.99)
- Stronachie 18 year old Single Malt Whisky 750ml – 6 available ($79.99)
Scotland – Single Malt Scotch
- 1995 Glenrothes Distillery Bottle Single Malt Whisky 750ml (Previously $66) – 11 available ($69.99)
- Glenrothes Select Reserve Single Malt Whisky 750ml ($34.99)
- 1988 Glenrothes Speyside Single Malt Whisky 750ml ( Price: Hidden )
Many of us have had a passion for seeing how Scotch or Irish whisk(e)y and real ales are made, and even dreamt about participating in or becoming a founder-owner of a distillery or brewery. This is now a reality — not in Scotland or Ireland but right here in BC. Graeme Macaloney PhD, an experienced fermentation engineer and a Scotsman, is launching a full scale single malt & pot still whisky distillery, and real ale brew pub – the Victoria Caledonian Distillery – and is conducting a series of complimentary “Show & Tell” presentations including complimentary whisky tasting at:
Legacy Liquor Store, Manitoba St., Vancouver… 6pm Wednesday 3rd July
The Strath Liquor Store, Douglas St., Victoria… 6:30 pm Tuesday 16th July
Legacy Liquor Store, Manitoba St., Vancouver… 6pm Monday 22nd July
The Strath Liquor Store, Douglas St., Victoria… 6:30 pm Tuesday 13th August
Founder-Owners benefit from a range of whisky and real ale benefits, including:
- A five-day hands-on brewing and distilling academy;
- Founders Reserve whisky (bottles or cask) or real ale keg(s);
- Founder-Owner branded jacket and branded glassware;
- Annual maturation party with meal, real ales & whisky, etc;
- Potentially significant financial return.
The new distillery plans have the full support of highly experienced Scotch whisky industry experts. If you are interested in learning more about this opportunity to get in on the ground floor, Graeme will be presenting and answering questions. This ‘show & tell’ session will, of course, include complimentary tastings of two excellent single malt whiskies. If you would like to attend this private presentation and are genuinely interested in this program, please RSVP to Graeme indicating your preferred venue and date.